Mobile Check Deposit
Use of Service
Mobile Check Deposit is a new tool that is designed to make it easy and convenient to deposit checks anywhere, anytime from your camera enabled (Android or iPhone) smartphone or iPad into your deposit account. To get started, download R.I.A. Federal Credit Union’s Mobile App today from the iTunes store or the Google Play store. We are not responsible for the functionality or maintenance of any third party hardware or software you may need to use mobile check deposit.
This agreement applies to consumer accounts only. The acceptance of this agreement and use of mobile check deposit means you agree to all terms and conditions in this agreement. Please read this agreement carefully and keep a copy for your records.
Eligibility and/or Qualifications
Mobile deposit will be automatically enabled in your mobile application based on your account meeting specific criteria. For members in good standing, with a valid e-mail address on file, a daily limit of $5,000 is in effect. Must be 18 years old to qualify.
All consumer checking and savings accounts are eligible for mobile check deposit except:
Certificate and IRA Accounts
Steps to Deposit a Check
- Make sure the name that the check is payable to is on the account.
- Endorse the check with signature of payee.
- Under your endorsement, write "for mobile deposit only".
- Select "Check Deposit" once you have logged into your mobile app.
- The depositing account is defaulted to your savings account. You may choose another account.
- Enter the amount of the check being deposited.
- Take a picture of the front of the check.
- Take a picture of the back of the check.
- Confirm and submit the deposit.
- Temporarily store the original check in a safe place. See the "Rules and Deposit Timing" information below to find out what happens next and what you should do with your check once you have confirmed your deposit has been delivered.
Limitations of Service
When using mobile check deposit, you may experience technical or other difficulties. We do not assume liability for any technical or other difficulties that you may incur. We reserve the right to change, suspend, or revoke services immediately and at any time without prior notice to you. In the event mobile check deposit is not available to you, you acknowledge that you can deposit your check at a branch location or by mail.
Charges or Fees
R.I.A. Federal Credit Union does not charge for mobile check deposit. We reserve the right to start charging for mobile check deposit at any time. If an item you transmit for deposit is dishonored, rejected or otherwise returned unpaid, you agree that we may charge back the amount of the return to the account the check was originally deposited to. You also agree that you will be assessed a returned check fee in the amount shown on R.I.A. Federal Credit Union’s current Fee Schedule. If there are not sufficient funds in your account to cover the amount of the returned check, the account will be overdrawn and you will be responsible for payment. You agree that R.I.A. Federal Credit Union may debit any account maintained by you in order to obtain payment of your obligations under this agreement. You acknowledge that wireless providers may assess fees, limitations, or restrictions. You agree that you are solely responsible for all such fees, limitations, and restrictions, and that we may contact you via your wireless device for any purpose concerning your accounts at R.I.A. Federal Credit Union, including but not limited to account servicing and collection purposes.
Most checks are eligible to be mobile deposited. However, the following types of checks are not eligible for mobile deposit:
- Checks payable to any person other than you.
- Checks payable to you jointly with one or more other persons, unless deposited into an account in the name of all payees.
- Checks that have been previously negotiated (including checks that may have been returned), remotely created, Sight Drafts, or checks more than 6 months old (stale dated).
- Checks drawn on a financial institution located outside the United States or not in United States currency.
- Insurance Claim Checks made payable to you and a 3rd party.
- Post-dated checks.
- Checks or items containing an obvious alteration to any of the fields on the front of the check or item which you know or suspect, or should know or suspect to be fraudulent.
- Non-standard checks (i.e. money orders, travelers checks, gift checks, credit card checks and saving bonds).
The image of the item transmitted to us must clearly be legible. The image being transmitted must comply with all standards for image quality established by ANSI, clearing house association, or any other regulatory agency.
You agree to endorse all items with your signature and print "For Mobile Deposit Only" on all items. R.I.A. Federal Credit Union reserves the right to reject all items that are not endorsed as specified.
When using mobile check deposit to deposit funds, the amount per deposit is limited to $2,500, with the aggregate amount of daily deposits not to exceed $5,000.
Receipt of Items
We reserve the right to reject any item transmitted through mobile check deposit, at our discretion. We are not liable for items we do not receive or for images that are not transmitted completely. An image is considered received when we transmit to you a deposit received notification. However, such notification does not mean that the transmission was without error. Once an item is reviewed and approved, you will receive a deposit approved notification.
Provisional Credit and Availability of Funds
Below is our general funds availability policy for this service:
If you receive a deposit approval notification on Monday-Friday between 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM CT,
- the check will generally be credited to your account on that same day by 5:00 PM CT;
- up to $200 of the check will be available that day;
- only one (1) $200 credit per account, per day.
Any check deposited after 3:00 PM CT will generally be credited by 10:30 AM CT the following business day. Checks deposited on Federal Holidays will generally be credited the following business day by 10:30 AM CT.
Credit given for the item is provisional and subject to final approval of the item. Funds you deposit may be delayed for a longer period of time when we have reasonable cause to believe the check is uncollectable. We will notify you if we delay your ability to withdraw funds because we believe the check is uncollectable and we will tell you when the funds will be available. You agree to receive all notifications regarding your use of mobile check deposit, including but not limited to exception notices as required by Regulation CC via electronic message. With respect to each item you send to R.I.A. Federal Credit Union for deposit, you agree to indemnify and reimburse R.I.A. Federal Credit Union and hold R.I.A. Federal Credit Union harmless from and against any and all losses, costs, and expenses.
Method of Presentment
The manner in which items are cleared, presented for payment, and collected shall be in R.I.A. Federal Credit Union’s sole discretion.
Retention and Disposal of Items
You agree to retain each item no fewer than two business days after your funds have been posted to your account. Upon receipt of these funds, you agree to mark the items prominently as "VOID" and to dispose of the item(s) in a way that prevents representing for payment. You agree to store each retained item in a secured locked container until such proper disposal is performed. You will promptly provide any retained item to R.I.A. Federal Credit Union as requested to aid in the clearing and collection process to resolve claims by third parties with respect to any item.
Errors or Discrepancies
Notify R.I.A. Federal Credit Union at 563-355-3800 as soon as possible if you believe your statement is incorrect, or if you need more information about a transaction listed on the statement. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent the FIRST statement on which the problem appeared. If you do not notify us within 60 days from the date your statement was sent, you may not be compensated for any losses.
To prevent unauthorized usage of mobile check deposit, you agree to ensure the security of the personal computer and/or mobile device you own and use to access mobile check deposit. By securing these devices, we specifically mean installing operating system patches, antivirus software, firewall and spyware detection as applicable and keeping this security software current, as well as securing the physical device from theft or unauthorized use. Additionally, R.I.A. Federal Credit Union may also request additional information from you.
If you have designated an authorized user or joint on your account, your authorized user will also have access to mobile check deposit. You and your authorized user(s) are equally responsibly for adhering to all items disclosed in this agreement.
Limitation of Liability
R.I.A. Federal Credit Union’s liability for errors or omissions with respect to the date transmitted or printed by R.I.A. Federal Credit Union will be limited to correcting the errors or omissions.
This agreement supplements the terms of your Membership Agreement and Disclosures. Together they constitute the entire agreement between you and R.I.A. Federal Credit Union with respect to the services. You may not assign this agreement. Unauthorized use of mobile check deposit is strictly prohibited.
User Warranties and Indemnification
You warrant to R.I.A. Federal Credit Union that:
- You will only transmit eligible items that are properly endorsed.
- Images will meet the image quality standards.
- You will not transmit duplicate items.
- You will not deposit or re-present the original item once it has been scanned and sent through mobile check deposit, unless specifically requested to do so by R.I.A. Federal Credit Union.
- All information you provide to R.I.A. Federal Credit Union is accurate and true.
- R.I.A. Federal Credit Union will not sustain a loss because you have deposited an image.
- You will comply with this agreement and all applicable rules, laws, and regulations.
- Items you transmit do not contain viruses.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless R.I.A. Federal Credit Union from any loss for breach of the warranty provision. Failure to comply with the above warranties can result in mobile check deposit to be revoked.
Change in Terms
R.I.A. Federal Credit Union reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of mobile check deposit or terminate this agreement without notice at any time.
Rules and Deposit Timing (all times mentioned are Central Time)
- After you successfully deposit a check, its status will be "Pending" until it is reviewed. If your check cannot be accepted, its status will change to "Failed" and we will attempt to contact you. You may contact the credit union by calling 563-355-3800 or 800-742-2848.
- If your check is processing, its status is changed temporarily to "Under Review".
- Our daily cutoff time for accepting mobile deposits is 3:00pm CT Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. Deposit items that we receive after 3:00pm CT, or on non-business days, will be processed on the next business day (Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays).
- If your check is deposited successfully before our daily cutoff time of 3:00pm CT (mentioned above) it will generally be credited to your account between 4:00pm CT and 6:00pm CT that day (the status of your deposit will change to "Accepted"). When your check is credited to your account, the first $200 of your deposit will be made available to you immediately. The remainder will be placed on hold for up to 2 business days. Longer holds may apply in certain situations.
- Once the status of your deposit changes to "Accepted" please destroy the paper check after two business days in a manner to prevent representing for repayment. You will be able to view a legal image of your check in R.I.A. Federal Credit Union’s Mobile App (under "Check Deposit", then "History") and we will use the legal image for any further processing.
Tips for Using Mobile Deposit
- Before logging into R.I.A.F.C.U.’s mobile app, close all other apps running in the background on your mobile phone or tablet.
- Flatten and smooth folded or crumpled checks before taking your photos.
- Keep the check within the view finder on the camera screen when capturing your photos.
- Try not to get too much of the area surrounding the check.
- Take the photos of your check in a well-lit area.
- Place the check on solid dark background before taking the photo of it.
- Keep your mobile phone or tablet flat and steady above the check when taking your photos.
- Hold the camera as square to the check as possible to reduce corner to corner skew.
- Make sure that the entire check image is visible and in focus before submitting your deposit.
- Make sure there are no shadows across the check.
- Make sure that all four corners of the check are visible.
- Make sure the check is not blurry.
- Make sure that the MICR line (the numbers on the bottom of your check) are readable.
- Make sure the name that the check is made out to is on the account.
You must inform us immediately of any material change in your financial circumstances or in any of the information provided in your Application for any Remote Banking services. You agree to provide us any financial information we reasonably request during the term of this Agreement. You authorize us to review your history from time to time.